Select Page

“What adjuster license should I get?”

Many independent insurance adjusters are faced with this confusing and important question.

The answer to this question changes a lot based on where you live, your goals, the time of year, and if this is your first or fifth adjuster license.

Rest easy, if you are asking the question, “what adjuster license should I get” at any stage in your career I have some custom suggestions just for you.

I’ve created an interactive quiz you can take that will walk you through the entire process below and give your our PDF breakdown or you can read the rest of this article.

Click HERE to share – Share this article to receive a bonus gift! 3 free templates and guides for auto adjusters

If you already have your first adjuster license skip down to the “type of work” question and if you are looking to acquire your first adjuster license read on!

State You Reside In

The first thing to determine in our quest to determine what adjuster license you should get will be, where do you live?

If you live in any of the following states you are not required to have an adjuster license to complete work in your home state,

  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • New Jersey
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania,
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

We’ll say that you live in a non-licensing state. All non-licensing state residing adjusters can skip to the question, “what type of work,” to determine what adjuster license you should get, all other adjuster you will be required to obtain your home state adjuster license.

If you want to take your adjuster licensing exam online, I recommend You can also save 20% off their adjuster licensing classes as a member of the League of IA’s.


Type of Work

Now in our quest to determine what adjuster license you should get, I need to ask the question, “What type of work do you want to do?”

If you are wanting to travel then you are most likely interested in being a catastrophic adjuster. If this is your first adjuster license then you should obtain your Indiana License as your first non-resident adjuster license if this isn’t your first you should proceed to the next question, Time of Year.

If you are wanting to work in your home state, sleeping in your bed every night then you may be shocked at my answer, but the adjuster license you should get is….. NONE!

Since you live in a non-licensing state you can complete work right now where you live. I’d recommend you start training.

Need help with training? We have training for auto collision, hail, flood, and software included as a part of our League of IA’s membership.

Time of Year

Now we’ve arrived at our final question to determine what adjuster license you should get, the time of year.

Depending on what time of year that you are reading this and wanting to get started working will impact what adjuster license I suggest that you should get next.

Right now, which of the following seasons and month ranges would best suite you in your current situation.

March – August = Hail Season

June – November = Hurricane Season


If you are wanting to work hail season I will call you a “Hail Adjuster.”

Here are my suggested 5 licenses you should obtain as a hail adjuster is, (after your initial license)

  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Kentucky
  • Minnesota
  • Georgia

If you are wanting to work the hurricane season I’ll call you a “Flood Adjuster.”

My suggested first 5 licenses you should obtain as a flood adjuster is, (after your initial license)

  • Florida
  • Texas
  • Louisiana
  • South Carolina
  • North Carolina

Now the concluding section is for those adjusters who really want the edge on the competition. You are wanting to have an advantage in the industry based on the adjuster licenses you have obtained alone.


Gaining a Competitive Edge

If you are willing to do the challenging work of obtaining specific licenses or a lot of adjuster licenses you will increase your chances of earning deployments or finding work in these specific states.

We will call you a “Tough Guy (or Gal)” and I will prep you that the list below is not for the faint of heart.

The first two licenses that are extremely tough to obtain are,

  • New York
  • Massachusetts

Below is a list that larger companies desire that you obtain and will make you disable to hiring agencies due to your being eligible in so many states.

  • Florida
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Wyoming
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • New Hampshire
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont

These are obviously just some suggestions based on my experience and research. It can change based on your situation, circumstances, time of year, and opportunities, but I hope this helps answer the question,

“What Adjuster License Should I Get?”

Your Guide,

Chris Stanley

Pin It on Pinterest